Monday, April 6, 2015

The Filmmaker's Handbook Chapter 13 - Picture and Dialogue Editing

I enjoyed this chapter on editing with a focus on montage. With my interest in documentary filmmaking I've discovered the use of montage can be a powerful tool in telling by story by showing and not just having the perfect sound bite for any given topic.

For me learning how to set up a story structure has been the most challenging obstacle in making my documentaries. This reading has provided some wonderful insight as to how to keep my audience interested while informing with backstory as needed. I've never realized how useful the three act structure could be in an educational film however, it is through stories that we humans learn and share information.

What I took away the most from this chapter is how to edit and envelope each sequence. I've often used transitions to signal a sequence change, but I'm realizing there are many other ways to begin and end a sequence such as a difference in sound level, lighting changes, location, and color.

Page 526, "Beginners tend to  think of scenes as separate units to be shaped and polished individually. Always keep in mind the story as a whole and how one scene can best draw the audience forward to the next one."

I have a professor who once described sequences as complete building blocks that support your structure. This visual has helped me see how important sequences can be and transitions are just as important because they are what holds the blocks together.

I also took away from this chapter the importance of work flow. Organization throughout the many stages of editing is key to keeping your sanity but I've never considered how important it is to have my surroundings just right. Specifically, editing on a large monitor. I've never considered how much this could impact my final work but I'm learning that if it can look good on a big screen it will look good on a smaller one. I also see the value in having a few trusted unbiased viewers critique my work in the fine cut stage. I often get too close to my work and I'm finding some time away from it helps to strengthen the final locked picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment