Monday, April 6, 2015

The Filmmakers Handbook Chapter 14 - Editing Digital Video

This chapter was very interesting as discussion of the best NLE is often debated among my peers. I am relieved to read that there is possibility that Final Cut X won't make it to the main stream industry. I've seen some really amazing effects being done with the program but having done so much work in Premiere Pro and Final Cut 7 I've never been able to transition to Final Cut X. Sadly, I know I will eventually have to move on from my beloved Final Cut 7. When this happens I will probably switch back to Premiere Pro as it still allows me to better fine tune my audio tracks while editing.

I greatly enjoyed this chapter as it goes into great detail about the hardware and workflow associated with filmmaking. Quite a bit of the reading has reinforced what I have learned from my talented coworkers at the news station. Of all of the topics covered this semester this technical stuff is to me the most important and sadly often overlooked by my course offerings. If I didn't have my current job there are many aspects of the technical side of filmmaking that I wouldn't have been introduced to until my senior year. While reading this chapter I found myself being incredibly thankful for having the job and the technically savvy friends that I enjoy because this reading would have been very difficult without my previous experience with these hardware operations.

Early on I encountered so many frustrating moments and often lost large amount of finished work simply because I didn't have any training in file management and work flow practices. It seems many cinema classes focus so much on composition and story form with little attention to this technical side. The problem with this approach is that the modern day filmmaker is expected to do more than direct or edit a film. Understanding the hardware and the software needed for filmmaking is just as important as understanding the camera that captures the story.

From this chapter I am most intrigued with offline editing. I have limited space on my external HD but I have to be able to work on my films at several locations so having my files portable is vital. My working offline with smaller file sizes and then finally reconnecting the finished product with higher quality versions I can work more efficiently no matter where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment