Monday, April 6, 2015

The Filmmakers Handbook Chapter 15 - Sound Editing and Mixing

I've enjoyed this chapter the most thus far. This covered several of the sound editing practices that I was able to witness first hand while shadowing at Digital Audio Post in Nashville. Post audio production is so fascinating to me. They have invited me back for a two month internship with summer and I'm excited to learn more from these brilliant audio engineers.

While much of this chapter was review from other readings and classes I've taken it was a great help to read up on the audio editing process. Preparing the film edit for effective audio post production is so important and can save a lot of money if the audio editor doesn't have to spend most of the time correcting improper editing techniques.

Splitting the dialogue tracks and considering which ones need special editing effects and putting those on the same track will save the sound engineer a lot of time in sweetening the mix. Currently, all of my projects have been small in that I do both the filming, editing, and sound mixing but practicing this track format will really help me as I move my projects from the editing to sound mixing stage of production.

After reading this chapter I am eager to get back into the DAP studio and see this work flow in action and apply this to my own work as an independent filmmaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment